Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Open Bar

I'm the lush in the family. Coming from a long line of addicts, drinkers and tipplers of all stripes, I could really hold my liquor, especially in my youth. More than that, I really love getting drunk. For about an hour, it's the funnest thing ever.

But, then, especially in my old age, there's the hangover and the spotty memory. I did not want to get drunk at my wedding. I wanted to remember everything, I wanted to experience everything, I wanted to remain upright. Lauren didn't want me to drink either. In our relationship, I'm the one that drops 60 bucks on drinks, butterflies around all night and then gets taken home by some kind, patient person, usually her.

She was also of the wedding opinion that we needed to be very careful to spend enough time with one another, to carve out moments of privacy and quiet to be together and boy did I balk at that. All of my dearest friends in town for one night only!? In spite of the differences of opinion and the history, we didn't make promises or set expectations for the reception. We were aware of what the other usually does, we were aware of what we hoped would happen and left it at that.

Our wedding night turned out to be the perfect role reversal. I had three drinks in twice as many hours, while Lauren had countless. I was the one trotting around trying to organize and arrange and it was all I could do track her down for reception formalities -- cake, dance, toss -- because she was off cavorting with her friends. But, the awesome part about it was that I felt not one iota of wanting to be drunk, not one iota of irritation for her absence. It was as if all of my longing to be free and happy by drinking was erased because I actually felt free and happy and all of her longing to organize and control were erased because she actually felt free and happy, so she got soused.

Me and her sisters took turns taking care of her, she said and did lots of cute things. Unfortunately I don't have permission to share the photos which do the most justice for the situation because they involve toilets and a search for pants.

As far as the guests are concerned, they guzzled bunches. The next morning we had, like, a case of Bud and a case of red wine remaining.

Please enjoy photos of all of the drunkies (me excluded!) below.



















5 comments:

accordionsandlace said...

Love this. We thought we'd get drunk at our wedding, because hey, that's how we roll, but as we started to get tipsy we realised, like you, that we wanted to be present, to be conscious of spending enough time with people, etc. So we slowed down. It was good that way.

Natalie Henry Bennon said...

That's cute. Brady and I were about the same before our wedding, with Brady coming down where Lauren is, and I were you are, D'ray. But, it was all perfect. I'm glad yours turned out perfect, too.

Franko Gnedo said...

Cool photos! looks like everyone had heaps of fun.

Mouse said...

This looks like SO MUCH FUN.

I'm deciding about the drinking thing. I don't want to be drunk, either, but I also think the one-glass-of-champagne rule is overly strict for a gal like me. Three in the night sounds perfect!
xo

Anonymous said...

[p]Tickets: Special unpleasant in-organic makes in IndiaWhy do you think of the way to go to purchase automotive Which has been utilized By: Nationalized | August [url=http://mbtshoes-sale.webstarts.com]mbt shoes sale[/url] 30th 2012 - wedding and reception to much time while made use of motor vehicles a good standing Women's MBT Shoes . Typically first dimension is for developing little ones somewhere around 0-6 months, My second dimensions are for young children flanked by 6-12 months and also the third is perfectly for human unborn babies inside 12-24 months . The empire waist dresses are also a great choice as they conceal [url=http://mbtshoesuksale.webstarts.com]mbt shoes uk sale[/url] waist and hips . Alignment is vital to managing health and [url=http://cheapmbtshoesuk.webstarts.com]cheap mbt shoes uk[/url] strength in musculature, Blood flow and breathing . Be thankful for people who serve you . Malaysia aircraft in-Flight activity system has much to offer not only for kids of different ages, However parents as well . When we finally recognize further around the Timberland, you can easlily [url=http://cheap-mbtshoes.webstarts.com]cheap mbt shoes[/url] recognize the actual understanding of Timberland . The submitted article distribution world wide web are of help, If your articles is a good example, It should get bought and reposted after web-sites and websites.[/p]